Please feel free to stop by Hakai. You are welcome to tie your dinghy to the rear fingers of the dock and come ashore.
Please visit the Welcome Center kiosk to sign our guest book and learn about our new beach trails.
The entire western shore of Pruth Bay and adjoining tidal lagoon are Hakai Beach Institute property. Please come ashore via our floats and please observe the following rules:
- Do not anchor within 100 meters of the dock so seaplanes can come in safely
- Keep the front float free for seaplanes, barges and delivery vessels at all times
- Only dinghies are permitted to moor at the dock
- Do not discharge sewage and other waste into Pruth Bay
- Smoking is prohibited on the dock
- Observe all BC Parks regulations as outlined for the Hakai Luxvbalis Conservancy and the Calvert Island Conservancy as well as for general Marine Ethics
- Follow all guidelines for Internet use
- Our agreement with BC Parks prohibits us from providing fuel
- We have no potable water on the floats
- We do not have a public telephone or public computer terminal
- We do not sell supplies, meals or lodging
- A site map is posted at the Welcome Center kiosk showing the Hakai Institute property and trails
The Hakai Beach Institute is a working science facility so all buildings are closed to the public.
As a courtesy to visiting boaters we provide open access to the Internet. The service is suitable for checking email and browsing the web but does not support large uploads or downloads. Bandwidth is very limited and it must be shared fairly among users.
Prior to logging onto our network, please ensure that you have disabled any automatic software updates.
- download software updates
- use voice or video calling (Skype, FaceTime, etc.)
- stream video (YouTube or other sources)
- play online games
- download music, images, videos or movies (a single HD movie could consume a full day’s allowance for all users)
- upload video or high resolution images
To access this service simply connect to the Hakai_guest wireless network, which requires no password.